Saturday, July 11, 2009

A few minutes break

by Susan Buchanan

I remember being very frustrated last General Convention at having so little time to sit and type and share some of what is happening with folks from home. I've got a couple of minutes right now (but not more than that), so here is a blur of stuff:

My legislative committee assignment was to the Committee on Evangelism. I have enjoyed that work immensely. The resolutions that came before us are now on their way to the floor of the House of Deputies, and will probably begin to be considered this afternoon. I like the one to have Church Center staff put together an evangelism "toolkit" that brings together best practices and ideas from around the church. I might have just yawned at it, except that the staff person who will be doing this (the Rev. Terry Martin) will actually do it! I don't think I'll vote in favor of the resolution to bring into the next GC schedule time to do some kind of evangelism/mission work in the host city (which will be Indianapolis). Not that I'm against doing evangelism or mission work . . . I just think we need to be shortening the length of GC, not adding to it! And then there's the resolution to support and implement the Strategic Vision for Latino/Hispanic Ministry. I'm very excited about that - there has been a lot of excellent work done in the strategic planning stage preparing for this, and I think it can also be a great model for reaching out in evangelism in many different types of communities.

A very difficult decision will be on the consent to the election of the bishop for the diocese of Ecuador Central. There is so much confusion over their process that we're having a hard time sorting out where all the truth is. The Committee on the Consecration of Bishops who had already sent this to the floor of the House of Deputies has called themselves back into an executive committee meeting this evening, so I know we won't face this again until tomorrow at the earliest. I'm glad, as I still need more time to listen and pray before I'm called on to vote on this one.

My husband Rick is with me, and is working hard as a volunteer. Yesterday he was a page for the House of Bishops, and he's worked registration and other places as well. Tomorrow he'll be one of the vergers for the main Eucharist, with him leading in the procession of all the bishops. He's also helping to run the Verger's booth in the Exhibit Hall in his "spare time".

I did luck out with one of the best spots to have a room. I'm on the 5th floor, which is the floor with the outdoor pool. I open my sliding glass door, take 15 steps and drop into the hot tub. Because it's so convenient I've actually taken the opportunity twice (10 pm! each time) after a long day of work to soak for 5 or 10 minutes to help unwind. It has been great gift. If I had to go down the hall and up or down the elevators somewhere . . . I wouldn't have been doing it.

Food is enormously expensive. But I'm eating instant oatmeal in the room for breakfast, and trying to find the cheapest options for other meals. But just as an example - just did a salad bar lunch for $15. Ouch. I did start with some lunchmeat and cheese in the room refrigerator, but it's two miles to the grocery store and no time to get there to replenish.

Now, gotta run to get back to the legislative floor! Please keep us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment