Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Deputy Land Roller Coaster ride

by Bonnie

Margaret's photos tell it well... Deputy Land has been exhilerating and takes us on rides like no other roller coaster I have been on. Sunday's Eucharist, which is known as "the big Eucharist" and honors the United Thank Offering, was the highlight of the convention for me thus far. I didn't try to locate anyone from our deputation in the 7,000 + in attendance so I sat with folks I had never met and was overwhelmed by the diversity of our church. Right in front of me was an Asian man with long grayish black hair wearing a baseball hat throughout the ceremony with USA printed boldly on the back. In front of him was an American Indian family wearing wonderful tribal costume. In another row was a woman wearing a great red hat with swirling netting. To the left I watched a young man in jeans and T Shirt waving his arms above his head, while singing and dancing to the music. I must admit I was quite emotional at the wonder of it all. The prosession was led by Spiritual Dancers in flowing white dresses waving gossimer colorful flags like wings. I couldn't see the parade of Bishops very well but caught glimpses of them leading our Presiding Bishop and the two who proceded her. Oh, yes, I think you saw pics of our own Rick, the verger, so NH actually led the whole thing! Yea Rick!

OK, down to business. Yes, the roller coaster ride continues. Sunday afternoon the house passed D025. This was huge and of course full of joy for some and pain for others. It pretty much put and end to B033 from the 2006 convention which called for a moratorium on the consecration of Bishops whose lifestyle might....you know the rest. Then yesterday the House of Bishops passed it with amendments that will come back to us today. You'll get more on this and other historic events in the life of our church and I won't elaborate here, but to be a part of it is overwhelming for all of us.

Again, thank you for your prayers and candles. Love to all. Bon/Mom/Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment