Saturday, July 18, 2009

The end of legislation . . . now back to the mission!

by Susan Buchanan

General Convention is such a jam-packed time - with committee meetings starting at 7:30 in the morning (sometimes earlier) and hearings or meetings or other events lasting until what might normally be considered bedtime. I didn't have time for dinner every day, although I did manage to grab some kind of lunch daily. Breakfast was instant oatmeal and fruit in my room. A granola bar would usually go with me to the floor of the House of Deputies. I am sorry that I had so little time to write during this Convention, but kept an eye on the blog to make sure that something was going up almost daily. The intent was never to have every person blogging a lot, but to make sure that as a group we tried to keep in touch.

There is a bit of regret at having been in a place with lots of sunshine and clear skies . . . and managing to only be outdoors long enough to take the short walk between hotel and Convention Center, or the longer walks to a place to eat dinner. But I do look forward to the milder temperatures back in New Hampshire! I don't do heat all that well. And I look forward to my own bed, and sitting on my deck out in the woods, and having a little peace and quiet. Even this extravert is on overload from too many people ALL the time.

But the legislative process is now over, and the work of moving ahead is beginning. I'll keep blogging in the days ahead as I go back over the vast array of legislation that we have dealt with (I'll have to look up the number of resolutions . . . but off the top of my head I think I remember it being somewhere in the 400's ! ). I'll be looking for legislation that urges action from dioceses, or parishes or individuals. I'll especially share about the work of my committee - on Evangelism. - and where that might take us. You'll hear more from others of our deputation as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment